Director of Investment
Who is scale ai
scale ai is an investment and innovation hub for AI applied to supply chains. We are dedicated to building the next-generation supply chain and boosting industry performance by leveraging AI technologies. We work with leading businesses in Canada to accelerate their adoption of AI technology and to build expertise to conquer international markets.
Our focus is on helping the transformation of supply chains with 5 target industries:
- Consumer goods and retail
- Industrial goods and manufacturing
- Transport and Logistics
- Infrastructure and construction
- Intrahospital logistics
In order to accomplish our vision, we are organized in 4 different internal teams working closely together, each aimed at implementing AI at different levels of our target industries:
Investment team: supporting high-value add, collaborative projects seeking to accelerate the deployment of AI technology through the strategic deployment of funds
Ecosystem team: launching industry-wide transformation initiatives to develop an advanced AI ecosystem in collaboration with scale ai members
Talent team: accelerating the development of AI fluency and upskilling of Canada’s workforce
Membership team: engaging with scale ai members and promoting interactions between various AI and supply chain players
We are located in the heart of the vibrant AI community in Montreal acting as a bridge between the most innovative startups and leading Canadian businesses. Our team is made up of successful tech executives, top consultants, and industry experts, providing you with the ideal environment to grow, learn and stay at the edge of AI advancements. Our unique structure and market position combines the flexibility and agility of a startup with the resources and network of a large business to realize our ambitious vision.
If you’re looking to make your mark in the AI industry and are motivated by fast-paced, no-nonsense environments, we want to hear from you.
About the role
Our investment team is looking for a seasoned investment professional who is motivated by new challenges and eager to join a fast-paced environment. Reporting directly to the COO, this is a critical role in scale ai ’s investment program, providing exposure to senior executives.
In collaboration with the team, your main responsibilities will include:
- Lead scale ai investment process for a defined portfolio of companies:
- Engage with external organization to build the investment pipeline
- Assess project proposals received from scale ai member organizations
- Collaborate with scale ai advisors for project evaluation on key issues including IP sharing, business impact and AI technology
- Submit and present proposals to scale ai ’s selection committee and board, ensuring timely review and investment
- Oversee delivery of projects in your portfolio to ensure investments meet organizational objectives
- Support the continuous improvement of the investment process
- Contribute to the development and evolution of scale ai ’s investment thesis and portfolio strategy
- Supervise and coach junior investment team members
As scale ai is starting and growing, the responsibilities of this role will evolve over time. This is a full-time position based in our Lab in Montreal and working closely with other scale ai team members.
Who we’re looking for
At scale ai, we’re looking for people who are eager to build great things. We operate in a constantly evolving industry and want to collaborate with driven individuals capable of getting stuff done. To enjoy and be great at this job, you’ll need 8 to 10 years of relevant work experience.
You would bring tremendous value to our team if you combined some of the skills and experiences below:
- You’re experienced in managing investment portfolios or delivery of complex programs
- You have deep knowledge of supply chain, technology, and artificial intelligence domains
- You have a technical degree (engineering, data science, IT...) and/or a background in business (consulting, MBA, investment banking...)
- You’re bilingual in French and English
You will be successful and enjoy working with us if you are:
- Self-sufficient - you are able to work autonomously, seeking help and resources whenever you need them
- Structured - you are capable of setting clear goals and measures of success
- Driven - a very strong bias towards action, you want to get things done and do whatever you need to do to reach your goal while staying structured and organized
- Excellent communicator - you can effectively convey your message to a senior audience
- Collaborative - you have great people skills, want to learn from others and love working in teams
- Eager - you want to join us to shape the AI